A BRIEF HISTORY
“Imperial Gardens is the Jewel in Cheltenham’s Crown providing the middle link between Montpellier Gardens and Pittville which already have their own Associations to speak for them. Our aim is to help in making sure that the floral beauty of Imperial Gardens is sustained and the overall appearance is enhanced in the best possible way.” Most of the Cheltenham Town Centre lies within a Conservation Area of outstanding importance.
Cheltenham became a Spa Town in 1716 and it received Royal Patronage in 1788 when King George III came to drink the waters.
This led to the rapid development of Cheltenham as a fashionable Spa between 1790 and 1840 and the heritage of those times can be seen in the Town’s Regency Architecture. The Town was laid out in fine Squares, Wide Tree-lined Streets, Terraces and Elegant Crescents.
Imperial Square is a fine example of the Town’s Regency Architecture.
In spite of some wartime damage and modern building, Cheltenham retains its original Regency grandeur.
Our pictures show (left to right): Imperial Square’s Regency Terrace as seen from Imperial Gardens; the restored Skillicorne Garden which forms part of Imperial Gardens and was constructed in honour of Captain Henry Skillicorne who established Cheltenham’s first Spa; one of the magnificent planters provided in association with Cheltenham in Bloom which fronts The Broadwalk overlooking Imperial Gardens.